Reports To: Ian Palmquist, Deputy Director
About Equality Federation and Equality Federation Institute:
Equality Federation is the movement builder and strategic partner to state-based organizations advocating for LGBTQ+ people. From Equality Florida to Freedom Oklahoma to Basic Rights Oregon, we amplify the power of the state-based LGBTQ+ movement.
We work collaboratively on critical issues—from advancing workplace fairness and family recognition to defeating bills attacking transgender youth and criminalizing HIV—that affect how LGBTQ+ people experience the world from cradle to grave.
We are looking for an experienced campaign professional to help us build a new program to increase Equality Federation’s members’ impact in the 2022 elections. Because LGBTQ+ and pro-equality voters are a critical but often overlooked part of progressive political strategy, we are building a national hub to accelerate state- and district-level civic and political engagement of LGBTQ+ people and our supporters in the 2022 electoral cycle. Equality Federation will serve as a curated resource clearinghouse for our state partners who take on all kinds of political work, from partisan independent expenditures to nonpartisan GOTV work, from candidate endorsements to hardside coordination.
By mobilizing pro-equality voters, we have the opportunity to flip seats, hold anti-LGBTQ+ officials accountable, and shift the balance of power. The current state wave of legislation attacking transgender youth makes this work even more critical to our movement.
For the 2022 electoral cycle, we are building a national hub to accelerate state- and district-level civic and political engagement of LGBTQ+ people and our supporters.
We are confident this investment will prove to be a valuable part of the progressive electoral strategy that can be built upon in the 2024 cycle. Through the power of mobilization, we can join together to win races and show politicians there is a consequence to harming LGBTQ+ people, people of color, women, and all our communities.
Key Objectives and Responsibilities
Phase 1: Planning, Assessment, and Targeting (May-July)
- Identify target states and opportunity state lege districts or statewide races in collaboration with Equality Federation members
- Assess member capacity to do electoral work
- Assess progressive infrastructure in target states and our members relationships/engagement with it
- Map existing and potential funding for member electoral work
- Assess and strengthen the quality of data infrastructure at participating organizations
- Assist Equality Federation leadership in securing additional funding for program
- Develop budget and select team of consultants (e.g. phones, direct mail)
- Hire Field & Data Strategist to support program
- Create process for delivering grants and direct services to members
- Collaborate with our Advocacy and Civic Engagement team to the extent allowed by law
Phase 2: Implementation (August-November)
- Coordinate all campaign resources
- Write campaign plans with organizational participants
- Consult on voter targeting and universe creation using Equality Federation’s LGBTQ+ support model, which predicts each individual voter’s likelihood of being a Pro-Equality Voter
- Train and coach partner staff
- Provide program support grants to supplement in-state fundraising
- Conduct training on and provide access to research-based toolkits and templates for scripts, ads, mailers, messaging, and digital campaigns
- Manage national vendor contracts for paid phones, mail, digital, and communications
- Leverage our membership in The Movement Cooperative to provide our entire network of state organizations with cutting-edge technology and data tools at no cost to them and additional tools at highly discounted rates
- 2-5 years experience on political campaigns and/or independent expenditure programs
- Knowledgeable and passionate about LGBTQ+ political power
- Knowledge about the progressive political infrastructure (AV, COS, TMC, etc.)
- Knowledgeable about c4/c3/IE/PAC compliance around elections
- Knows how to make data tell a story
- Deep understanding of what it means to be transgender
- Experienced in writing campaign plans
- Experienced in usage of VAN & data infrastructure
- Racial equity analysis to voter engagement
- Able to work independently
- Experienced with remote work
- Cares deeply about building LGBTQ+ political power through individualized coaching and support
Salary and Benefits
- This is a temporary, full-time staff position with Equality Federation through November 30, 2022.
- Compensation: $6600/month
- Ability to work from anywhere in the United States with broadband internet and access to a major airport
- Health/dental/vision insurance, and flexible savings account
- Transgender Wellness Fund ($1000 annually, prorated, for employees who opt into the fund)
- Retirement plan with 3% employer match
- 11 paid holidays annually
- 15 days PTO per year, prorated for temporary position
- Basic life insurance/AD&D and long-term disability insurance
- $100/month pre-tax cell phone/internet allowance.
- We will begin reviewing applications on May 13, 2022. The position will remain open after that until we have selected the right candidate, but we encourage you to apply as soon as possible
- Apply here: https://eqfed.org/apply-dve
Equality Federation is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, age, familial status, military status, religion, disability, genetic information, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity and expression. We welcome and encourage applications from people of color, indigenous people, and transgender people.
For more information about Equality Federation, please visit our website at equalityfederation.org.