Since 2013, the Affordable Care Act (or “Obamacare”) has made it possible for LGBTQ people and families get access to quality, affordable health insurance. Thanks to the law, the rate of uninsured low- and middle-income LGBTQ people has dropped by 35%! More people in our community have access to medically necessary services they need, from life-saving HIV drugs to gender affirming health care.
Congress has tried and failed repeatedly to repeal and replace Obamacare, but the Trump Administration is still trying to sabotage the health insurance marketplace and those who need coverage. This will be the hardest year ever to make sure LGBTQ people get the health insurance they need and know the facts. That’s why we need to make sure our communities around the country have the information they need to #GetCovered:
The marketplaces are now open for business!
Once a year, you have the opportunity to enroll (or re-enroll) in health insurance or switch plans at HealthCare.gov. This year’s open enrollment period begins on November 1, 2017 and ends on December 15, 2017. This is a new deadline, so mark your calendar! If you do not enroll during this time, you may be locked out of health insurance until 2019.
Financial help is available to help make premiums and out-of-pocket costs more affordable.
Last year, 8 in 10 people qualified for a discount on their premiums, and most people can find health insurance for $50 to $100/month. You won’t know unless you shop—and you may qualify for more financial help!
Expect to be treated fairly and protected from discrimination in health insurance AND health care.
Even though we’re under attack by the Trump administration, nothing has changed when it comes to health care. You should never face health discrimination simply for being who you are. If you are mistreated, you have rights.
Health insurance is confusing!
That’s why 80% of LGBTQ people want help from someone who understands their questions, whether it’s same-sex coverage or transition-related care. Luckily, our friends at Out2Enroll are here to help connect you to free, LGBTQ-friendly help from experts in your area. Make an appointment today.
Take action now by doing two simple things:
- First, make sure you and your loved ones have health insurance. If not, head to HealthCare.gov now. Fill out the application and get all the information you need.
- Second, spread the word! The Trump administration won’t lift a finger to help our community. It’s on each of us to get the word out about the December 15th deadline. Post on social media, forward this blog post, and make sure your loved ones are insured.
Don’t forget! The deadline to enroll in health insurance for 2018 is December 15, 2017. Let’s take pride in our health this year and make sure we all #GetCovered
To learn more, visit Out2Enroll, the national campaign to empower LGBTQ individuals and communities to get access to health care.
Latest posts by Mel King (see all)
- Honor Trans People on November 20 and Every Day - November 20, 2017
- Freedom Oklahoma targeted by gunfire over the weekend - November 16, 2017
- #GetCovered: The Health Insurance Marketplaces are Open for Business! - November 1, 2017