The hurricanes that have battered the southeast over the past month have left devastation in their wake. Our friends in Texas, Florida, the Caribbean, and beyond have a long road ahead. SC Equality stepped up this weekend by partnering with Equality Florida and Georgia Equality, offering shelter in South Carolina to anyone who might need it. Our members all know that we are stronger when we stand together. Equality Federation members have suggested the following organizations as worthy of time and money in these critical days:
- LGBTQ Disaster Relief Fund has been set up by The Montrose Center, the leading LGBTQ organization and community center in Houston, to help Texans rebuild after the storm through counseling, case management, direct services and access to food and housing, and more.
- Organizacion Latina de Trans en Texas serves trans Latinas in Houston and is in need of support for Casa de Ana (Ana’s House), an emergency shelter program.
- The Florida Disaster Fund is Florida’s official private fund established to assist communities as they respond to and recover during times of emergency or disaster. All funds raised go towards disaster-related response and recovery.
- Habitat for Humanity is preparing for emergency responses in the US and the Caribbean, as well as long term rebuilding.
We will continue to update this list as we learn of more resources.
Latest posts by Mel King (see all)
- Honor Trans People on November 20 and Every Day - November 20, 2017
- Freedom Oklahoma targeted by gunfire over the weekend - November 16, 2017
- #GetCovered: The Health Insurance Marketplaces are Open for Business! - November 1, 2017