Equality Federation is standing strong against any nominee put forth by the Trump Administration who wants to roll-back nondiscrimination protections and enshrine discrimination into law. People of all faiths, races, backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities, and abilities are a part of the fabric that fills our country with the potential to be extraordinary. This is a country that believes in fairness and that all of us should have the opportunity to thrive and provide for ourselves and our families.
- Dr. Ben Carson for Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Dr. Carson has said LGBTQ people are unnatural and absurd. He has a history of opposing any policies that would provide equality to LGBTQ people and their families. He has disparaged the Fair Housing Act, an important policy to prevent discrimination in housing.
- Chuck Cooper for Solicitor General
Mr. Cooper was a lead lawyer in the case to defend California’s Proposition 8, the anti-same-sex marriage law that was eventually overturned by the Supreme Court.
- Betsy DeVos for Secretary of Education
Mrs. DeVos and her family have donated millions of dollars to extreme, anti-LGBTQ organizations that promote dangerous, unscientific “conversation therapy” for LGBTQ youth.
- Governor Rick Perry for Secretary Energy
Gov. Perry has long opposed fairness and equality for LGBTQ Americans, supporting dangerous conversion therapy practices, opposing marriage equality, promoting anti-transgender legislation, and more. Further, and most chilling, he has made clear he was not aware of the duties of the Secretary of Energy including overseeing the nation’s nuclear stockpile.
- Representative Tom Price for Secretary of Health and Human Services
Mr. Price has long stood in opposition to equality and fairness. He opposed marriage equality, and voted against lifting the ban on gays and lesbians in the military and against the hate crimes laws
- Andrew Puzder for Secretary of Labor
Mr. Puzder has a long record of opposing LGBTQ equality and workers’ rights to form unions and other basic protections.
- Senator Jeff Sessions for Attorney General
Senator Sessions is notorious for his anti-LGBTQ stances as well as his racial bias and hostility toward immigrant communities. See also: 438 Civil Rights Organizations oppose Sessions.
Latest posts by Mark Snyder (see all)
- State Equality Index: How Does Your State Score? - January 10, 2018
- Watch: Why We’re Fighting HIV Stigma and Criminalization - December 4, 2017
- Giving Tuesday: Support Our Movement! - November 28, 2017