Position: Health Policy Manager
Type: Full time and requires a flexible schedule including some evenings and weekends, with in-state travel 5-10 days/month
Reports to: Political and Organizing Director
Location: Denver, CO
One Colorado is a statewide organization dedicated to secure and protect equality and opportunity for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Coloradans and their families.
Our vision is a fair and just Colorado.
Access to safe, inclusive healthcare is a critical need and priority for many LGBT Coloradans, specifically people of color, older adults, and transgender people in our state. In collaboration with partner organizations and policy experts, One Colorado is committed to removing barriers to adequate and affordable healthcare that currently exist for LGBT Coloradans.
The Health Policy Manager will manage One Colorado’s LGBT Health Initiative to expand equal access to health coverage for LGBT Coloradans and their families, with emphasis on transgender Coloradans.
The Health Policy Manager will focus on health coverage to ensure that the plans, benefits and coverage of public and private insurers do not require, permit, or encourage the exclusion of coverage for same-sex partners or their children, nor the exclusion of medically necessary transition care. Specifically, the Health Policy Manager will focus on three primary areas:
Health advocacy (40%)
- Coordinate and monitor strategy, resources, and information with national organizations and other statewide organizations on healthcare, the Colorado Health Benefits Exchange and the Affordable Care Act
- Advocate for the inclusion of sexual orientation and gender identity in research, data collection and community assessments
- Develop and distribute resources and presentations on LGBT health care rights and health insurance literacy
- Provide recommendations and tools to LGBT Coloradans navigating insurance denials or discrimination within health care settings
Coalition and community engagement (35%)
- Identify and engage supporters willing to speak out in favor of LGBT inclusivity in healthcare, including employers, businesses, healthcare organizations, individual community leaders, and policy makers
- Develop and manage a coalition of health, LGBT and allied organizations to advocate for inclusivity in healthcare
- Identify, record and catalogue stories from the LGBT community related to health care discrimination and non-coverage of services
- Engage and manage an LGBT Health Steering Committee to monitor and assist in the implementation of policy objectives
- Represent One Colorado at health-related coalitions, events and meetings
Training and resource development (25%)
- Develop and disseminate policy briefs, resources and other materials on the healthcare needs and experiences of LGBT Coloradans
- Present or distribute LGBT healthcare research and resources to staff, boards and members of healthcare organizations, stakeholder and public health organizations, policy makers, and national partners
- Develop and disseminate information about the benefits of the Affordable Care Act and Connect for Health Colorado to One Colorado membership and LGBT Coloradans through earned media and online/social media
- Develop and disseminate resources and materials about accessing inclusive healthcare to LGBT Coloradans
We seek an enthusiastic self-starter with high energy and a commitment to social justice. The candidate must be independent and easily adapt to a fast-paced environment. This person must be flexible, resourceful and creative. This person will be capable of taking responsibility for specific goals and measurable outcomes within designated time frames and will be able to coordinate multiple initiatives to successful conclusion.
The successful candidate will have policy, advocacy or organizing experience, specifically familiarity with health policy, benefit design and insurance regulations. The candidate will have exceptional “people skills” that will be used to work effectively with stakeholders, partner organizations and policy makers.
Salary is competitive with full health and dental insurance. To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Daniel Ramos, Political and Organizing Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, but priority will be given to materials received by October 30th. Please include “Health Policy Manager” in the subject line.
One Colorado is an aggressive advocate of inclusivity and welcomes applications from all, particularly from people of color, women, LGBT people, immigrants or refugees, people with disabilities and people from low- or moderate-income backgrounds.
One Colorado is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its employment decisions on the basis of race, creed, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, height, weight disability status, veteran status, military obligations, marital status, political party affiliation or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable federal, state or local law.
Latest posts by Jenn Curtin (see all)
- Only 50% of LGBT Americans are Protected from Discrimination [REPORT] - October 27, 2015
- One Colorado Seeks Health Policy Manager - October 19, 2015
- Equality Pennsylvania Seeks Policy Director - October 19, 2015