Position: Policy Director
Reports to: Executive Director
Location: Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Founded in 1996 as the Center for Lesbian and Gay Civil Rights, Equality Pennsylvania is the only organization in the Commonwealth based in Harrisburg and advocating there and across the state, exclusively for the rights of LGBT Pennsylvanians.
Our central goal is to achieve equality for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) Pennsylvanians through education, policy and legislation. More than a decade ago, Equality Pennsylvania was a volunteer-based 501 (c)3 organization. Today, we have full-time and part-time staff, more than a dozen interns each year and many, many dedicated volunteers.
In 2010 we totally re-organized and strengthened our status as an organization by adding both a 501(c)4 component and a PAC to our overall structure. Since then we have made a number of key administrative changes and today our Board comes from areas all across Pennsylvania. We are gay and straight, business people and government workers, attorneys, non-profit leaders and professors who are singularly focused on changing the landscape for all LGBT Pennsylvanians.
To be fully considered and included in state programming is a critical need and priority for many LGBT Pennsylvanians, specifically people of color, older adults, and transgender people in our state. In collaboration with partner organizations and policy experts, Equality Pennsylvania is committed to removing barriers and building bridges that will provide for full policy inclusion for LGBT Pennsylvanians.
The Policy Director will manage Equality Pennsylvania’s policy initiatives within the departments of the state government and work to make sure every applicable program is inclusive of LGBT Pennsylvanians and their families, with emphasis on transgender Pennsylvanians. The Policy Director will focus on Pennsylvania government programs to ensure that all plans, benefits and coverage require, permit, or encourage the inclusion of coverage for ALL LGBT Pennsylvanians including their same-sex spouses and their children.
Specifically, the Policy Director will:
- Develop and implement multiple, complimentary work plans and strategies to advocate for LGBT Pennsylvanians
- Develop and disseminate policy briefs, resources and other materials on the needs and experiences of LGBT Pennsylvanians
- Identify and engage supporters willing to speak out in favor of LGBT inclusivity in state policies and programs, including employers, businesses, healthcare organizations, individual community leaders, and policy makers
- Develop and manage a coalition of LGBT and allied organizations to advocate for inclusivity in state policy and programming
- Identify, record and catalogue stories from the LGBT community related to discrimination and non-coverage of services
- Engage and manage an LGBT Policy Steering Committee to monitor and assist in the implementation of policy objectives
- Present or distribute LGBT population research and resources to staff, boards and members of state agencies and departments, stakeholder and public health organizations, policy makers, and national partners
- Develop and disseminate information about the benefits of taking full advantage of state programs to Equality PA membership and LGBT Pennsylvanians through earned media and online/social media
- Represent Equality Pennsylvania at policy-related coalitions, events and meetings
- Coordinate and monitor strategy, resources, and information with national organizations and other statewide organizations on statewide policy initiatives
- Advocate for the inclusion of sexual orientation and gender identity in research, data collection and community assessments
- Develop and disseminate resources and materials about accessing inclusive state policies to LGBT Pennsylvanians
We seek an enthusiastic self-starter with high energy, a “can do” attitude, and a knowledge of and commitment to social justice. The candidate must be independent and easily adapt to a fast-paced environment. This person must be flexible, adaptable, resourceful and creative. This person will be capable of taking responsibility for specific goals and measurable outcomes within designated time frames and will be able to coordinate multi-task initiatives to successful conclusion.
The successful candidate will have policy experience, specifically familiarity with state policy and programming and state regulations. The candidate must love policy work, be determined and focused and be willing to work with bureaucrats of all types to get the job done.
This is a salaried full-time position which requires significant flexibility in evenings, on weekends, and during the work week. Compensation will be competitive and commensurate with experience in the non-profit industry. The position offers comprehensive medical and dental benefits with paid time off.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Equality Pennsylvania follows an equal opportunity employment policy, and employs personnel without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, age, physical and intellectual disability, veteran status, and marital status. This policy also applies to internal promotions, training, opportunities for advancement, terminations, relationships with outside vendors and customers, use of contractors and consultants, and in dealing with the general public.
Salary based on experience. Benefit package available.
Email cover letter and resume via PDF or Word to email@example.com.
Please, no phone calls. Applications deadline is November 6, 2015. Equality PA seeks to fill this position as soon as possible.
Latest posts by Jenn Curtin (see all)
- Only 50% of LGBT Americans are Protected from Discrimination [REPORT] - October 27, 2015
- One Colorado Seeks Health Policy Manager - October 19, 2015
- Equality Pennsylvania Seeks Policy Director - October 19, 2015